A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sometimes I think God gave us husbands so we will keep perspective in our lives.

This morning I read Swampwitch's post about being the mother of the bride and some of her personal horrors as she prepares for the wedding. This excerpt made me laugh out loud. This is she talking to her really empathetic husband:

"Can you see my zit?"
"Not if you put your hand over your nose or if I shut my eyes."

I love it.

Her drama with getting sick before the wedding and everything else that was not going right brought back my son's wedding to me. It was three yeats ago.

I needed a just-right dress. I thought it would be easy but I was oh-so-wrong! It was about a week before the wedding and I still didn't have it. Everything I could find was either spaghetti-strap prom, matronly or beaded/glittery. I am none of the above. Oh, yeah, and it had to be a color that at least didn't clash with the bridesmaids and the mother of the bride. AND it had to fit my weird skinny-limbs-broad-shoulders-big-butt figure. Where were other women finding those gorgeous dresses? I hate shopping for clothes anyway and I found myself shopping for hours on end.

That's bad... because when I shop and don't find what I want, well, I settle. I start seeing possibilities in things. I found a dress that I thought would do. It was a blue similar to the mother of the bride's dress, which she was making herself, by the way. It was big but it wasn't shiny or fancy, which neither am I. ...it had possibilities.

It was way too big, even for my backside, although fit pretty well at the shoulders. It just hung on me. Guess what? I bought it anyway. I decided my mom could alter it for me and she agreed to do it.

Kevin's girlfriend convinced me to go to her salon for my hair cut. She was also a "Colorist". I should have run. I have never colored my hair before other than highlights which I do myself. She said we needed to get rid of the gray (hey, it's in the back, I can't see it!) and "even it out a bit." (she didn't like my highlights!) She gave me a nice "caramel" color, a lighter shade than my natural color and add some lighter streaks. "Okay, you're the expert." ...famous last words. It came out blah, blah, blah, plain.

After a couple of hours of that, and it all cost more than my dress, I just wanted to get out of there! Shoe shopping time. I found a nice pair of pointy sling-backs and bought them. In the process I lost my credit card (or was it stolen?) which, being that I use it so seldom, I didn't notice 'til I got ready to pay for the kids' honeymoon suite several days later and it was gone. But someone had "found" it and had been on a little buying spree. The guy at the credit card company was gentle when he told me this but I just burst into tears anyway. He must be accustomed to this response because he comforted me and told me to take some deep breaths and that it would all be okay. (It was)

Two days before the wedding I woke up feeling kinda nauseous... the day my mom was going to take in and hem up my dress. When I got out of bed I literally could not walk, the room was spinning. I was sure I had some disease and was going to miss my firstborn's wedding. If I lay perfectly still I was fine but any movement left me nauseated and dizzy. The doctor squeezed me in and decided I had some kind of virus that messed with my inner ear. He got me some medicine and life was good again. But the day was wasted and my dress did not get altered.

Anyway, I had to keep it all in perspective, after all the wedding wasn't all about me. Angus said I looked "fine" which is guy-speak for "get over yourself". I doubted anyone would even notice me and I was so flippin' busy I didn't really give it much thought. Until the photos came back.

Here is a snapshot of boring me taken an hour before the wedding with the mother of the bride. Still in my flip-flops and see how my lipstick makes my lips disappear? I am a hopeless cause, I think.

The good news is - the bride was beautiful. My son was wonderful. The wedding was spiritual. The reception was fun and I fell in love with my husband all over again. Who cares that I was wearing a blue potato sack?

+++++

Phillipians 4:11 ~ Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.

8 comments:

Pamela said...

You appeared much better than you give yourself credit.

(remember... we beautiful people have to dress down so we don't outshine the bride. It's her day

(:

(I picked the wrong dress for my eldest's wedding)

jettybetty said...

What Pamela said!!!

If one of mine ever gets married--I am sure you will need to encourage me just to get through it!!

janjanmom said...

I think it looked great! Just right, I love the no shine, glitter or bows. Unless there was a giant blue one on your butt.

Pastor Jeff Brinkman said...

HI Hazel,

I noticed your very nice post to my blog:

canyouhearthebirdssing.blogspot.com

If you live in Kearney, do you attend Woods Chapel United Methodist?

Jeff Brinkman
JeffB@woodschapelchurch.org

Sheila said...

So glad to see you dropped by and left a comment on my blog. You aren't too far from where my daughter-in-law is from, St. Joseph, Mo. And you looked lovely at the wedding.

I can so identify with the shopping thing and wanting to look just right. My son married in the fall of 2004, 4 months after I completed chemo and 6 weeks after radiation. My hair or lack thereof was my problem. I ditched the wig. What I remember most is dancing with my newly married son with tears running down our faces.

Anonymous said...

I think you look beautiful in that dress. We are always our own worse critic. At least you didn't have a big zit on your nose, right?

Anonymous said...

I think you look wonderful. And your husband must have thought so too! Isn't it funny how we make such a big deal about things and when it is all said an done, it really didn't matter that much? I had a similar experience with my daughter's wedding. I still have the first dress I bought hanging in the closet. Talk about a mistake!

Amy W said...

Love the flipflops with the dress!

I can only imagine what it's going to be like when my girls' get married.