A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Perspective. Katrina caused a flood... what we had was a puddle of inconvenience. Katrina cost people their homes, their lives... the cost of our little incident will be manageable although we'll feel it for sure. Perspective.

Our hot water heater was the original one that we put in when we had the house built 19 years ago. Dad said it lasted longer than it should have. It is intriguing to me that we had this little mini-flood, mini-disaster 2 days before I leave to go on a mission trip for Katrina Relief. I believe that often things happen for a reason. Did God hold up that tank break down thing til the timing was perfect?

The tank was due to fail at any moment and yet it went now. I could say that the timing is terrible. We can't afford the expense right now (when could we?). Yesterday was my last day of work 'til fall and I was due for a break, a rest! I've earned it. Instead I was mopping up yet floors and heating water to wash a dishwasher full of dishes by hand...and listening to complaining about having to take cold showers. ...but... we have showers. We have clean pure water coming right into our home and out of our faucet when we turn the handle. The carpet in the basement is wet at the edge of the disaster but it will clean up, it won't need replaced. We may have to replace a little dry wall and we will have to get a new hot water heater. ...but... they make them better now and more efficient and less energy and less space. We will be without hot water for a few days while we figure out what to buy. That is such a pain when I'm trying to get ready for this trip and pack and do laundry and now there is so much more to do as well, ...but... when I get back, in one week, there will be hot water. We have an unexpected espense and we have money in savings that will cover it. How in the world can I complain at all when I am going to a place where people are still living in FEMA trailers many months after ther entire homes, thier lives as they knew them, were completely and utterly changed forever and ever in the blink of an eye?

What I am experiencing is barely an inconvenience by comparison. I think about the feelings that I was dealing with yesterdy as I tried to make quick decisions without the information that I needed to make them. How much greater their dispair must have been as the people tried to make decisions during the hurricanes las Fall. Should they leave their homes or were they safe there? They had only their past experiences to rely on, their instincts. Even those that did leave and made it out...what did they have to come back to. Only devastation. Mile after mile of it.

Okay, now I'm tearing up, silently weeping with the thought of their loss. It causes me much despair when I put myself in the shoes of the victims there. That's what compassion is; feeling with your heart. (com=with / passion=heart) God knows me inside and out and he knows that I can have a little trouble in this area. I don't automatically see someone's hurt the way that some people can. Sometimes I need a smack to the head. I think that is what this little flood has done for me.
It's just another small miracle, for there is no such thing as coincidence.

God probably didn't make my water heater break (although he could have) but he may have had something to do with the timing of the breakdown. He definitely gave me the insight to turn it into another learning opportunity to get closer to him (and to son, Zeke, too, now that I think about it).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Father God, thanks for the quick smack before I leave to help others. Give me strength my duties and stamina for the work load and compassion for those around me. Help me to be a blessing to others through you. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your note about following after God, but sometimes it doesn't seem that way.... and you USED to be an artist, sounds like me. I was disappointed to see that there were no more posts after this day. If there is, that would be great. If not, then God bless and may your journeys be peaceful :)
parker