A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Friday, July 21, 2006

I stepped into the room to find all the heads bowed in prayer. The four years olds in this Vacation Bible School class were saying grace before their snack. The young college student teacher of the class was having each of them pray individually. Most of their prayers were inaudible but they were talking to God easily and and eagerly thanking him for the crackers and cheese before them.

I was thinking how smart that young woman was to get these kids started with this kind of praying out loud with others at such an early age...getting them comfortable with prayer. I know I shouldn't have been thinking at all but praying along with them myself but I was curious. Suddenly I heard these words loud and clear from a very small boy ~ "and thank you for dying on the cross for us". The adults in the room all looked up at the same time and looked at each other in amazement and smiled.

Oh, how I wish I had known at four years old... even at his understanding level, whatever that may be, he had it right.

No comments: