A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Monday, June 25, 2007


CJ and Ana are in town from their home in Tucson. They hadn’t made it back for Christmas so we decided to gather the families on Sunday afternoon for BBQ. We did a little phoning and a mass E-vite to get the word out… a possibility of over 50 guests, but short notice.

The party was at one o’clock (which is noon by the sun)… the least shady time of the day with the temperature predicted into the upper 80°s and humid (of course). Our house is not huge so we set the picnic table and lawn chairs close to the trunks of the trees. We dragged the tables on the deck way over to the shady side and set up a fan out there, pulled out the leaves in the kitchen and dining room tables, set up a food table in the living room and then just let it all happen.

It was wonderful. A mix of 32 loved ones from 1 month old to 80 years came bearing potato salad, cake and homemade ice cream. Angus’ brothers and sister and mom mixed right in with mine. Children and teens all mingled. A box was pulled down from the top of a closet and Hot Wheels cars that hadn’t seen light in years were spread out on a bedroom floor and roaring in hot little hands and with big, strong ones.

The hammock was a favored play area, there was frog-watching at the Lily pond, walks in the woods, chicken-chasing all over the place, ping pong in the basement, blackberry hunting, pea picking and a very sweaty game of volleyball.

It was laid back and fun, and was evening before the last of them left. Angus and I slid into the swing and watched them drive away after many hugs and smiles of gratitude. I noticed the Lilies strewn on my deck and the Cheerios floating in the pond and thought of the cheer-filled children who’d left them there. I leaned into my beautiful husband as I took in the afternoon. I am always leaning on him in one way or another and not usually noticing that I do.

I looked back on the day and I saw all the love that had flowed. There were no harsh words or intolerance. Only love. We’ve all grown up! I saw how my boys have grown into young men to be proud of. Their cousins are mommies now and good ones, too. Our parents are filled with the same joy of life that children have. Oh, life is precious!

Eventually I rose to clean up the mess. I headed into the kitchen with an armload of dishes I had picked up on the way. There by my sink, standing tall in a beer bottle was a beautiful Queen Anne’s Lace, the flower of the common Wild Carrot.

Thank you, Father God, for the making things that are so common, so known to us, also wild and lovely and unique when we take a closer look... my family included.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

grew all over when I was a kid on the west side of the state... I always heard that it made cows crazy.

beautiful post!


oh me oh my!!! my word verification is ppdust. That is some kind of crazy.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love Queen Anne's Lace! Well, I'm nuts about just about any flower which you will figure out if you continue visiting my blog!