A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Okay, I've never Blogged before so I'm not sure what you are supposed to do with it but I figure it's my site so, hey, whatever I want goes! Being a wife and a mother of 4 sons, it is not very often that I have been able to just do what I want to do, completely and totally, without having to think about how it will affect the lives of others. It can be tiresome living like that but it's a life I've chosen...okay, not really...It's a life I've been given and it's a pretty good one.

I don't read much anymore because there just isn't time for it but I do love to read...books and magazines and newspapers. I read about a scientific study done where the scientists made people put a pencil in their mouth and hold it there for while they took readings of the brain. I can't imagine who funded this research or how they thought to do it, but the results are fascinating, although not surprising to me. If the people were made to hold the pencil from the end, it made their lips pursed and their eyebrows knitted, basically a pouty frown. When they held the pencil lengthwise their expression almost looked as if it were a grin. Their brains showed that the longer the people held the pencil pointing out the unhappier they felt and the longer they held it sideways the happier they felt. (I guess scientists know how to measure these things!) Anyway, they concluded that there is something about "muscle memory" that when we use the smile muscles our brain thinks we must be happy. SO...keep smiling! Amazingly, it really will make you feel better...and that's a start.

Gotta go. The day awaits!
God bless!

No comments: