A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I can't get that scene out of my mind. ...The one from "Grey's Anatomy" Sunday evening. I do that with movies a lot; there are scenes that I can't get out of my head and I analyze it and replay it until I can make sense of it. It's why I don't watch horror movies and it's why I don't watch "ER" anymore. When TV drama leaves one with a sick feeling then why watch it? I could even tell you the episode that caused me to stop watching "ER", that left me so disturbed, but that's another story and I am talking about "Grey's Anatomy" right now.

Here's what happened. There had been a horrible train wreck. Most of the victims had died in the crash and the hospital was all-hands-on-deck for all of the trauma victims being brought in with horrible injuries like amputations and burns. There was one pair, strangers until this incident, that had a long pole that had impaled them and pinned them close together , face to face. They were both conscious and in some discomfort but no pain (shock, our body's response to "This pain would be too much for you too endure."?)

The victims were joking with one another & the staff, trying to make the best of the situation, as their predicament was being evaluated ("does anyone have a breath mint? & "my wife would be jealous of me being this close to another woman but today I think I'll get a pass") The man's wife and the woman's fiance were on their way, flying in, but bad weather wa keeping them from arrival.

The surgical team examined their x-rays to see what kind of internal injuries there were and discovered that both were in deep trouble with sever internal injuries. If the pole were removed both would surely die, bleed out before the surgery team could even get them on the table. Someone suggested that if a person were removed form the pole, instead of vice versa, the other person would have a chance as they could then work on the one impaled person as they removed the pole...I guess. The woman's injuries were so severe, being to the heart, that it was belived there was no chance for her. There was a brief argument that her injuries, being more severe, should be the one saved, in the hopes that he might be able to survive the removal if they worked quickly enough. After discovering that she had no feeling in her toes that she was not goin to survive no matter what they did and that she should be the one removed. The surgical team went in to tell the patients the situation.

They were kind and caring and obviously saddened. Both patients were stunned. He was horrified and demanded that they take him instead, but the doctors explained that then they would lose them both. It was so unfair, he said. Oh, she was so brave! She said it would not be fair either way. She understood the situation. There was some more converstion...about what to tell her fiance. She asked Tom if he believed in heaven, by now she was leaning heavily on him, laying her head on his shoulder, and he said confidently "Yes". He asked if she did, she answered "I want to".

No comments: