A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Our Wedding Day

Our anniversary
August 26th, 1976, was a typical hot August day that brewed up a thunderstorm. Looking back I think how appropriate that beginning was, indicative of the what happens when you bring together two people who are so very different. We started out hot, then things got stormy then it all settled down when we finally focused on each other.

I was worried about the rain. My little sister finally quit trying to light the candles with all the wind blowing and the guitar music my sister-in-law so lovingly strummed was totally lost on the wind. The minister's hair was blowing straight up and I could see the lightning approaching in the distance behind him.
But then Angus took my hand in his and began to gently slide the handmade wedding ring onto my finger. It resisted but he gently and steadily worked it on as he gazed into my eyes. I forgot everything else and I couldn't take my eyes away from his.

It's been a wild ride for sure, sometimes bumpy, sometimes smooth. Up and down and winding all around. Sometimes I think about what it would be like to get off but I never, ever open that door.

Today I came home from a meeting and I was hungry, digging in the fridge for something to eat. He offered to make me his hashbrown and egg skillet meal. He didn't have to. He wasn't hungry and the kids weren't around. He did it just for me. He speaks his love for me in his actions. Sometimes...usually, I don't even notice. But tonight I was listening.

I've learned that it is always better to pay attention but it's not always easy. The lessons continue... hopefully for another 28 years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

{A year ago... my similar thoughts}

No comments: