A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

It had clouded up and there was a cool, gentle breeze. It was evening, not dark yet but the crickets had already begun their singing. The girls playing the violins were nervous but played wonderfully. The huge trees with their branches swaying in the breeze and sprinkled with tiny white lights appeared to be dancing to the sweet music.

The wedding party paraded through the grass, barefoot, to their places at the front of the seated guests. The ring bearer ran to keep up and left the confused flower girl behind as she reached into her basket for white pedals to toss. She took her job seriously. The bride was beaming with beauty, as all brides are. The groom proudly waited for her to join him...forever.

We sat together near the back and I wondered if he was remembering too. Going back to the place 27 years ago when the beautiful hot August day had whipped up a summer thunderstorm on our wedding day. The guests were all seated, the candles lining the path were lightedand we were lined up at the back ready to begin...when the drops began to sprinkle down. The guests looked at each other...what to do? Angus' sister with her baby stood up to leave. Some of the other guests began to follow suit. I started to cry. The wind was whipped up but the rain held off and my Dad just said , "Let's go!"... and we did.

The guitar music was carried off by the wind. My little sister finally gave up trying to light the candles, disapponted. The minister's hair was blowing straight back, the ribbon in my hair whipping around. I saw lightning in the distance behind him. Everything around suggested the storm was approaching fast and all of my wonderful plans were scattered. But there was Angus, gazing into my eyes, gently trying to slide on the ring that didn't want to go on. Patiently twisting it as he smiled into my eyes and calmed me and everything else was suddenly gone. The wind, the guests, the approaching storm. Just Angus holding both my hands and looking not at all nervous or worried....just being there for me with his strength and not having to say any words at all yet telling me that it was all good. It was all right. and it was.

No comments: