A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Friday, February 23, 2007

I really needed a day like today… a day filled with joy. There was nothing special about the day really, nothing I can put my finger on except in the way I felt, the way I reacted to everyday things all day long. A day filled with joy.

The “why” today was different is harder to identify. I‘m pretty sure it was all in my attitude but why my attitude was better than usual? That I‘m not sure. Was God speaking to me?

I woke before the alarm and got up and soaked in a hot bath. Yes, a slower start to a day than a shower would be but much easier on the nerves, like the difference between waking to an alarm or to the rising sunshine filtering into the bedroom.

I ate an orange while the coffee brewed and then sat down and read the Bible. I usually do some kind of quick morning devotion but today I sat in my favorite chair, with my old, highlighted, scribbled-in, easy-to-read Today’s English Version, Good News Bible. I opened it to the book of Matthew and just started reading, not really to study so much as to enjoy, to experience it, like reading an ancient diary, yet as familiar as the old family photo album. I read ‘til time to head to work.

So, my day started softly and with a Bible in my lap. Is that why my focus was different? Is that why I was more compassionate with the steady stream of boys in trouble? Is that why I was more tolerant of the staff needing help during my lunch time or when I was busy? Is that why I was more generous with my reservoir of kind words? Is that why today it occurred to me that most of the parents that come through our doors are doing the best they can with the skills and experiences that they have and they love their kids as much as I love mine.
The whole day went like that with much laughter and many smiles. A good, God-given gift of a day, filled from dawn to dusk with joy!

No comments: