A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Monday, February 05, 2007

The names have been changed to protect the innocent. When I first began this web log a year and a half ago i was tentative about using the real names of my loved ones. I just wasn't sure how "public" a blog really is and for the safety of my family and just for fun, too, I made up code names for everyone... just in case. (don't ask)

My husband is the 5th child of 6 and by the time his mother named him she had run out of ideas. She tells how she sat in the hospital searching through the pages of the obituaries for names of the deceased and their loved ones left behind. Kind of creepy but ingenious as well and that is where she found his name.

In our own family, finding names for sons number 3 and 4 was about finding a name that sounded okay next to the names of their big brothers and their strong Irish surname. Maybe the native American Indians had it right by choosing a permanent name for their kids when they became "men" and "women".

Anyway, I got to pick new names for one and all and some people have asked about that. So here is my reasoning and how I chose.
Behind the Name
the etymology and history of first names was the website I used to help me figure out what I wanted.

Angus ~ Irish, "one strength or force" .. He is the strength behind our family. He keeps us going.
Kevin ~ Old Irish, "Kind, gentle, handsome" ..That says it all about "Kev".
Zeke ~ from Hebrew meaning "God strengthens" ..That is where he gets his strength, the perfect name for him.
Beau ~ "beautiful" ..He is. Loved by all for his contagious joy for life.

So there it is.

No comments: