A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The snow had been falling for two and a half hours when they finally dismissed early. The kids were thrilled. Twenty minutes after the kids had gone I headed out, too. As I passed the big window I glanced down to see how much snow had accumulated and I saw my car below. Someone had cleared my car of snow! All of the remaining vehicles had been cleaned.

It wouldn't have taken my but a few minutes to do it myself. It wouldn't have delayed my journey home much, wouldn't frozen my fingers much. But someone had done the small task for me. Someone had weathered the chill wind and trapsed through the snow from car to car to do a nice thing that they would not likely be thanked for.

I can't tell you how that small thought alleviated some of the stress I was feeling about the winding, hilly backroads drive home. It stayed with me even as I backed down the big hill twice after not being able to quite make it over the crest and having to take an alternate route. It lifted me to a smiley place that wasn't shaken even after taking twice the time to get nearly home. It warmed me even as I waited for Bo to come pull me out of the ditch 1/2 mile from home. :)

I kept thinking of the good stuff that went with all that had happened. We got out of school early (yeh!) and would not have to make up the day. My car was warm despite the cold and wind. No damage done to my car as my wheel left the road and sunk off the edge in the deep snow. I had my phone with me and it was charged. Bo had been home when I called and so was the Jeep, the only vehicle we have that could get the job done.

Life is good... and so are most people.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

except for slipping off the road - everything else was so positive.

Last year we had 3 feet of snow - so I'm sitting here being very empathetic. BUT, I'm not willing to take any of it from you. ha ha