A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

We talked all the way down to Bennett Spring on the 4 hour drive and I sent up a silent prayer of thanks for my friend, TK. She had talked me into taking a personal day to go with my husband on the fly fishing trip when he couldn't find a buddy who could get away for the day. I had resisted at first, not wanting to "waste" a personal day so early in the year and she said "What are you saving it for?" What indeed? I usually end up taking them on the last month before they expire for no reason at all.

It seems that as we have settled into this long-time marriage we do a lot less talking than we should. Most of our talk is about logistics more than conversation. We work different shifts and and have so many chores and meetings and kids and commitments....it's no excuse. We do have time together every day but we don't value it. So, we need these little mini-get-aways. I always like him better when we are out of town than when we are home anyway. At home there is always an underlying feeling of stress for Angus, I think. As if he feels guilty to be relaxing when there is so much to be done.

Anyway, TK made me remember my priorities. Her husband had recently been through a life threatening emergency surgery while out of town on business. She got the call from him as he was in pain and heading for the hospital. She left her kids with her mother-in-law and she and her father-in-law jumped in the car, drove 41/2 hours to St. Louis and arrived as he was coming out of surgery, still in bad shape. He has since come home and she is having to nurse him. He is frustrated with his situation and sometimes takes it out on her but ultimately it has brought them closer together...made him appreciate her more...made her cherish life more.

So I asked for the day off because I respect her opinion and knew that she was right...and she was.

No comments: