A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

It's not really my "job" to take out the trash but the can was overflowing, tomorrow is Trash Day and I was the only one home. I am not fond of the chore but I hadn't been outside all day except walking to and from the Jeep for work and back so I thought a good crisp jaunt out to the road might be good for me.

I stepped out the door into the cool night air and wondered if I should have put on a jacket over my light sweater. I decided I was too lazy to head back in, I'd tough it out and hussle. I threw the heavy bag onto my back and started jogging along our long driveway. Suddenly, at the curve of the driveway between the big Oak and the huge Elm I entered a different world! I had run right out of the large halo of light provided by the flood lights on the house and into a pitch black nothing. All I could see before me was a splendid view of millions of stars! I could still feel the pale light behind me as my eyes adjusted a bit to the darkness. I moved on, slowly, feeling my way up the drive more than seeing it. It was so beautiful that I couldn't help but think of God and I couldn't help but be reminded how small and insignifcant and short-lived we humans really are in the universe.

Putting things into perspective now and then is good for the soul....taking out the trash can be, too.

No comments: