A slice of life on 10 acres in the woods. Thoughts on raising 4 sons, guiding 4 grandsons, keeping up a 35 year marriage, maintaining friendships, finding memories, and trying to follow God on the journey.

Friday, October 21, 2005

What frightens me most about scary movies is that somebody could actually come up with the awful scenarios!... and then that they would choose to share their wicked & warped ideas with others!... and, most of all, that people would choose to watch them and feel entertained!

That thought came to me as I was sitting quietly alone in the hot tub out in the beautiful Autumn morning. It was one of those days when birds flock up and there are thousands that come by out here in the country, gathering in black masses on the yards and fields and blackening the trees like charred leaves. Their calls were so loud as they all complained at once about the upcoming cold and lack of food, I supposed. I doubt anyone who has seen the old classic movie "The Birds" can see a these Fall flockings without having that movie cross one's mind.

I first saw it many, many years after it's conception on some late night movie years ago. I wasn't in the slightest bit frightened, knowing a bit about the nature of birds, and was more annoyed that someone would choose to frighten folks into believing that flocks of birds would attack people. Upon later viewings I was more amused by the actors obvious horror of something so terribly un-horrific. Why were they so stupid!?? Then I remembered that it is only a movie.

I guess that is why I hate Horror movies so much. It feels like they play on people's fears, but then why do we watch? Well, I don't... but many do and I haven't yet figured out why. I have never, ever enjoyed being frightened.

Hmmm...perhaps it is because I am someone that gets so lost in a movie that I totally forget for awhile that it is make-believe!

AHA!

No comments: